Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Last Princess by Galaxy Craze

About the Book:
 Pages: 295
Series: Last Princess #1
Publisher: Poppy
Release Date: May 1st, 2012
Source: Library
 
GoodReads Summary:

A series of natural disasters has decimated the earth. Cut off from the rest of the world, England is a dark place. The sun rarely shines, food is scarce, and groups of criminals roam the woods, searching for prey. The people are growing restless. When a ruthless revolutionary sets out to overthrow the crown, he makes the royal family his first target. Blood is shed in Buckingham Palace, and only sixteen-year old Princess Eliza manages to escape. Determined to kill the man who destroyed her family, Eliza joins the enemy forces in disguise. She has nothing left to live for but revenge, until she meets someone who helps her remember how to hope-and love-once more.Now she must risk everything to ensure that she does not become... The Last Princess.

Review:

The world has ended. But not everyone has perished. In fact, the royal family mostly survived the apocalypse. Besides their mother, who was poisoned and killedby a resistance leader named Cornelius Hollister, the royal family is doing fine surviving in the destruction of the former world. Until they discover that this rebel leader is out for their blood and won't stop until he's the ruler of Britain. Eliza is forced to join the army that's determined to kill her family in order to save her siblings and the crown.

I thought that this post-apocalypes theme was really interesting. Especially with the main characters being the majesties of England! I thought that added a regal feel to the story :) It was facsinating how the people were categorized. There were Roamers; the theives, murderers, and over all bad guys, who had escaped from prisons once the electricity went out. They, well, roam in search of things to feed on such as squirrels, horses, and... humans. Collectors who search through the endless piles of trash, attempting to discover anything useful.

 As I said I liked the after-the-world-ends theme but I wish it came into play more during the middle and end of the book. I felt like at that point the story revolved around the revolution and made the time feel distorted. Because they had no electricity or anything like that and they rode on horses and used mostly swords, I felt like we were in the medieval times, not the future. This annoyed me and I wish the author hadn't written about royalty cause that just added to the confusion.

Time to get to the romance because, I have to admit, I didn't like it. Wesley was a character who had a regretable past, a tragic present, and a unchangeable future. But all those things said did not make him a strong character. I felt like i couldn't even fall in love with him if I tried because his characters presence is so vague. It's like you meet him, and you like him, because he's nice to Eliza. But then they just start making out? It's especially sad that I don't love him because the story is told from first person, the easiest way to get readers to like a character! If the main character likes him then you should to because the MC's (main characters) opinion is dominant in the story.

I liked this book,  I really did. It's just that the plot, setting, and characters need a little work. The main idea behind the book intrigued me and I wanted to read more, so I'm excited for the sequel coming out in spring 2013. I hope this book is read by a ton of people and that this post-apocalypse theme catches on. I recommend this book to fans of the Hunger Games, people who are excited for a new genre, and lovers of everything adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment