Monday, March 23, 2015

It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini

 

GoodRead Summary:

Ambitious New York City teenager Craig Gilner is determined to succeed at life - which means getting into the right high school to get into the right job. But once Craig aces his way into Manhattan's Executive Pre-Professional High School, the pressure becomes unbearable. He stops eating and sleeping until, one night, he nearly kills himself.

Craig's suicidal episode gets him checked into a mental hospital, where his new neighbors include a transsexual sex addict, a girl who has scarred her own face with scissors, and the self-elected President Armelio. There, Craig is finally able to confront the sources of his anxiety.

Ned Vizzini, who himself spent time in a psychiatric hospital, has created a remarkably moving tale about the sometimes unexpected road to happiness.

Summary:

This novel took me pretty long to get through although it's definitely worth the read. The theme, initially seems depressing, but over all it was really eye-opening. I thought it was really interesting seeing inside of a mental ward. Craig's character is awkward and he is kind of the type of character you can fall in love with. 

The struggles of being/becoming a teen is something that is very well portrayed in this novel. From asshole best friends to young love, this book has it all. I appreciated the (appropriate) sense of humor that Craig embodied. The whole topic of teen suicide is very relevant in today's society.

I would recommend this book to anyone searching for a heartwarming read. This book is honest, genuine, and something worth while. I think that truly anyone would enjoy it.

~~~~

Sorry that this is so short and late! I started up my blog just before lacrosse season started, so I don't have much time. But I'm trying my hardest!

No comments:

Post a Comment