Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Dark Eyes by William Richter

About the Book:
Pages: 383
 Series: Dark Eyes #1
 Publisher: Razorbill
Release Date: March 15th 2012
 Source: Library

GoodReads  Summary:
Get ready for the vigilante girl detective of the next generation.

Wally was adopted from a Russian orphanage as a child and grew up in a wealthy New York City family. At fifteen, her obsessive need to rebel led her to life on the streets.

Now the sixteen-year-old is beautiful and hardened, and shes just stumbled across the possibility of discovering who she really is. She’ll stop at nothing to find her birth mother before Klesko—her darkeyed father—finds her. Because Klesko will stop at nothing to reclaim the fortune Wally’s mother stole from him long ago. Even if that means murdering his own blood. But Wally's had her own killer training, and she's hungry for justice.
 

Review:
Wally lives on the streets. Not because she has to but because she wants to.  Her life at home wasn't necessarily hard compared to her friends'. But the minute she found out she was adopted was the minute she began to hate her parents. Having her parents get a divorce didn't help either. On the streets she survives by stealing and breaking and entering. However, her past from Russia may hold more secrets and threats than Wally expected.

I thought this book was geared to the wrong audience. It seemed like such a boy book but the main character being a girl definitely pushed this book towards more feminine readers. Truthfully, at some parts I wasn't sure why the author had chosen a woman for the main character. Wally seemed less thoughtful and caring than any girl I know. For example, when Tevin says she's pretty in a sentence she doesn't notice, all she cared about was the subject of their conversation. A girl would notice this! A girl who apparently was "interested in a relationship" with this boy would notice these things! We're not blind!


Although this book did offer what it promised.... action. And lots of it. I think the nonstop action took away from the over all affect f the characters personalities and relationships. I also thought that the gangsters in Russia would be more included in the book. But all I got was two guys who miraculously killed everyone in their path without once being caught by the police? This book may have been packed with adventure, but it was unrealistic. It would make sense if this was fantasy or sci-fi but no, this is a crime thriller. No were in that genre description does it say "please write about illogical things." 


The author also seemed to throw in some things that were completely unnecessary. Like the alexandrite? Why couldn't she have gotten cash? Why did that insignificant part have to be thrown in there? Maybe its just me but does anybody understand the meaning of this, other than to have made the story more valuable and cause extra drama that I was already tired of reading about?


Okay, so yes, this was my first crime thriller thingy. And maybe I just have a problem with the excruciatingly masculine genre. But over all, I only somewhat enjoyed the read. This happens very rarely people so get it on tape! I usually pick out books that I end up loving but I just wanted to try something out of the box. I am glad I had the experience though. So even though I majorly dissed this book in my review, I am happy I read this book.


I recommend this to people who love action.... and suspense.... and... uh... crime action thriller thingies. Until next time folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment