Monday, July 9, 2012

Die for Me by Amy Plum

About the Book:
Pages: 341
Series: Revenants #1
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: May 10th 2011
Source: Library


GoodReads Summary:

In the City of Lights, two star-crossed lovers battle a fate that is destined to tear them apart again and again for eternity.

When Kate Mercier's parents die in a tragic car accident, she leaves her life--and memories--behind to live with her grandparents in Paris. For Kate, the only way to survive her pain is escaping into the world of books and Parisian art. Until she meets Vincent.

Mysterious, charming, and devastatingly handsome, Vincent threatens to melt the ice around Kate's guarded heart with just his smile. As she begins to fall in love with Vincent, Kate discovers that he's a revenant--an undead being whose fate forces him to sacrifice himself over and over again to save the lives of others. Vincent and those like him are bound in a centuries-old war against a group of evil revenants who exist only to murder and betray. Kate soon realizes that if she follows her heart, she may never be safe again.

Review:

Paris is the most romantic city in the world in real life.... and in books. With this charming setting it's easy to fall in love with the book. Kate has been trying to recover from her parents recent death, but she can't seem to shake off her feelings of mourning, unless her nose is shoved in a book or she's gazing in a museum. Then she meets Vincent and it's like and it's like she can live again. Until she realizes that she's falling in love with the undead.

It must really be something about France. I love every book that is set there! Kate's character was astonishingly brave for someone who is completely normal. I liked her because she read like no tomorrow. :) Though I wish in some ways that she could be a stronger character. Or smarter. When she took a break from Vincent I was thinking, "What's wrong with you?" But, yet again, I have to factor in that her parents died recently. I also got frustrated with Vincent when he didn't tell her absolutely everything about revenants. 

But, Vincent, oh Vincent. He was the perfect character for Kate and complemented her in every way. He was so romantic. *Swoons* He just seemed perfectly imperfect. I loved how he got ill when Kate needed her time away from him. Not in that sick way that screams "I like death" but in a way that seems utterly lovey-dovey. Like he couldn't survive without her around.

The action/plot was very well constructed. I felt like every detail had a purpose and they did! I loved the big sha-wham moment (climax of the plot). I though Lucien made a perfect bad guy and that the whole Georgia thing was really well thought out. Except I wish Plum made Georgia unconscious throughout the whole battle scene, because it just seems like a drag to get everyone involved. The possessing part of the battle was also cool, but I wish Kate died.... So she could become a revenant of course! No seriously, I mean it. I want her to become a revenant but we'll see...

I recommend this book to people who liked Switched by Amanda Hocking (they were surprisingly similar), also to people who like drama, romance, suspense, and France. Hey, that rhymes! But on a serious note, I really, really liked this book... a lot! It's up there with the Hunger Games and the Trylle Trilogy.

No comments:

Post a Comment