Saturday, July 7, 2012

Switched by Amanda Hocking

About the Book:
Pages: 293 (not including bonus story)
 Series: Trylle Trilogy #1
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Release Date: January 3rd 2012
Source: Bought
GoodReads Summary:

When Wendy Everly was six years old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. Eleven years later, Wendy discovers her mother might have been right. She’s not the person she’s always believed herself to be, and her whole life begins to unravel—all because of Finn Holmes.

Finn is a mysterious guy who always seems to be watching her. Every encounter leaves her deeply shaken…though it has more to do with her fierce attraction to him than she’d ever admit. But it isn’t long before he reveals the truth: Wendy is a changeling who was switched at birth—and he’s come to take her home.

Now Wendy’s about to journey to a magical world she never knew existed, one that’s both beautiful and frightening. And where she must leave her old life behind to discover who she’s meant to become…

Review:

I really don't know what to say. This book was breathtaking. Hocking's characters were so beautifully created that it was hard not to fall in love with them. I was taken aback by the amount of passion the author put into this book. This book definitely found it's place on my favorites shelf and I have a feeling it will take permanent residency there.

Although Wendy is surrounded by magic and fantastical worlds, she is still utterly normal. For me that was a breath of fresh air. When you read all of these fantasy novels where the main character is ridiculously graceful or painstakingly odd, it's hard to look up to them. Even though Wendy is an outcast, she doesn't exactly fit into the weird-o stereotype. She is still feisty, pretty, and smart. Her strength is admirable and her character is up there with Katniss.

The male characters in this story will definitely whisk your heart away. Finn for one is sweet, protective, and... cold? (I read these books back to back but I won't spill the beans.) Rhys on the other hand is surely someone I would fall for. He's charming, kind, and forbidden, since he's a manks. Yes, he is clearly my type ;). 

The plot of this book was purposely progressive. I felt like I never got bored with whatever was going on; there was always something to prompt me to keep reading! The final pages of these books were packed witht he most action, though I have to say, this part disappointed me a little. The main sha-bing wa-pow action scene seemed a bit lacking, in terms of suspense. But don't worry, it's supposed to be like that. The greatest things come with time!

This book really surprised me, in the sense that I bought them at Wal-Mart to read while I visited family in upstate New York. I actually didn't start these books until I was about to go home and read each book in about two days. I recommend this book to anyone who has access to books in general!

No comments:

Post a Comment