Thursday, January 15, 2015

Damned by Chuck Palahniuk

 

GoodReads Summary:
The newest Palahniuk novel concerns Madison, a thirteen year old girl who finds herself in Hell, unsure of why she will be there for all eternity, but tries to make the best of it.

The author described the novel as "if The Shawshank Redemption had a baby by The Lovely Bones and it was raised by Judy Blume." And "it's kind of like The Breakfast Club set in Hell."

Review:*

This book was definitely out of my comfort zone, but after reading it, I'm in love. The black humor is surely my style and the irony and sarcasm kept me very thoroughly entertained. Although this type of comedy isn't for everyone, I loved every second.

The plot is intriguing, switching back and forth from during life to dead life. I was actually surprised with the plot; I didn't think it would be so solid. I had expected something of a soliloquy or just an over all though process, not a true storyline. The reader learns the long perils of Madison Spencer, a mature, spunky 13 year old. Even though we may be similar in age, I realize now I have nothing in common with the main character, perhaps the way Palahniuk intended it to be.

Through all of her tales of wealth and eco-friendly coffins the author keeps relaying the same underlying message; money doesn't buy happiness, nor does it buy your ticket to Heaven. Additionally, this book incorporates many legitimate theological figures, which I found very interesting.

 I found it particularly hilarious that Palahniuk claims that the majority of telemarketers call from Hell! The "statistics" concerning a persons eligibility for Hell; how many times they've cursed, how many times they've passed gas in an elevator, all were so clever and comically placed, that I couldn't help but laugh.

Overall, this book is definitely for a reader with a good sense of humor. This is the kind of book you shouldn't take too seriously, but at the same time, should look forward to reading a riveting plot accompanied by quirky characters.  

*Disclaimer: This book touches upon controversial topics such as religion and spirituality. Me reading it and reviewing it does not reflect my religious/spiritual beliefs in any way. Also, I would only recommend this for mature readers considering there are sexual situations and more adult themes. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment